Preserving your Past for the Future

 

Listed Buildings

There are 30 listed buildings in the parish, and all of these are Grade II. These listings include obvious buildings like manor houses or barns, but also cover other built structures such as gate piers or bridges. The complete list is as follows;

 

Alleron Bridge

Auton

A thatched cottage at the bottom of Rock Hill.  At some time it was two cottages, possibly built as such in C18 or earlier.

Aveton Gifford Bridges and Causeway

Further information and history is on The Bridge page

Babland Farmhouse

An unusually grand farmhouse, with a date stone of 1830. The group of farm buildings below are early C19, and probably built at a similar time.

Barn and Outbuilding near Granary Babland Farm

Granary at Babland Farm

Bennicke Farmhouse

This detached farmhouse was built in the early C19. A handsome building adjacent to it is the barn over stables, built at a similar time and also listed.

Barn and Stables North of Bennicke

Chantry House, The Chantry

In 1284 a chantry was set up in the parish church for the soul of one Andrew de Cardinan; this was common practice in the Middle Ages as it was believed that prayers for the departed would shorten their time in purgatory. Ongoing maintenence of the chantry and the priest appointed to it was paid for by rents from chantry fields. During Henry VIII's Reformation of the Church these chantry fields were seized and sold off, but very soon after they were bought by Anthony Honeychurch, whose father William had been the chantry priest at Aveton Gifford and had died two years earlier. In remembrance of him Anthony changed the name of his land from Lewton to Chantry, and it has kept this name ever since.

The present house at Chantry was built as a country house in its own grounds and dates from the late C18 to mid C19; it is now divided into two - Chantry House and The Chantry.

Music Room at the Chantry

This is a building detatched from the main house, built over cellars. It was built about 1840 and has several interesting features. The picture above shows part of the music room to the right of the main house.

Church of St Andrew

Information about all the churches in the parish is on the Churches page.

Court Barton Railings, Wall, and Gate to Front of Court Barton

Court Barton Manor House

Not much is known about the early history of Court Barton from early records but W G Hoskins in his book "Old Devon" says that nine times out of ten the word Barton indicates a farm with a long and interesting history, and if it is recorded in the Domesday Book (1086) one can be pretty sure that it existed at least a century or two before that.(The manor of Avetone on which Court Barton stood was recorded in the Domesday survey)

The manor was held by the Giffard, Damerell and Prous families in the 13th and 14th centuries, and later by the Berry family. The house as seen today is an altered house from the 17th century, although the eastern walls of the farmhouse are the remnants of a barton.

barton – (archaic), farmstead, or the demesne lands of a manor, also, the manor itself.  

 

Grove Park Farmhouse

 

Built in the early C19 by a naval officer. as "a folly or eye-catcher" to the road to the south of it. It is described as "A handsome building, practically unaltered."

Clannaborough

On the road from Ashford to Bigbury it is one of the few remaining thatched cottages in the parish. It was built in the early C17 as a cross passage two roomed house, but later extended.

Harraton Farmhouse

In Commercial Directories or Gazettes between 1870 and 1887 Harraton was described as a hamlet within the parish of Aveton Gifford.The farmhouse here was built in C17 and C18 and is a good example of the period.

Cottage 30 Metres S.West of Harraton Farmhouse

This small cottage was built in C18. It lies on a lane to the south of the main road which was originally part of the Modbury to Kingsbridge road; the later toll road (now the A379) was built, now bypassing the cottage.

 

 

 

Heathfield Down Farmhouse / Barn/Cottage

There are two nearby farmhouses with similar names, Heathfield Manor and Heathfield Down. It is the latter farmhouse  and its farm building which are listed.

There is little evidence here of original buildings. The present farmhouse with its attached barn and labourer's cottage was built in the early C19, and is an unusual combination, remaining much as it was built. 

The ancient manor of Heathfield (on which these two houses now stand) was held by the abbot of Buckfast Abbey both before and after the Conquest, and “in Norman times the Abbot held his court of justice. Forty acres of rich pasturage lay within this monastic settlement, on which was a village of some 25 families, and of course its little church and a residence for the steward of the abbey” (History of Buckfast Abbey, Dom.Adam Hamilton) It was recorded as Hetfield in 1086 for the Domesday survey, and included Harraton, Babland, Chillaton, Lixton and Wizaller, whose tenants all paid rent to the Abbey. They also had certain unpaid tasks for the benefit of the Heathfield community, and any wrongdoings were subject to the Abbot’s court of justice. The Abbot at this time could pass a death sentence, probably using a gallows at what has become known as Hangman’s Cross which fell on the boundary of his land. 

Farm Building, North of Heathfield Down Farmhouse

Hillside Rest Home, (now Ivy Cottage), Rock Hill

James Ruth the photographer, who took many of the local pictures included in our archive during the first half of the C20, established his photographer's business in the village in his home at Ivy Cottage. He suplemented his income from photography by also becoming the village barber, cutting his customer's hair in the back room of the house.

This three storey detached house was built in early C19.

Hingston Borough Farmhouse

The English Place Name Society gives the origin of Hingston as Hynds Stone, the name given to a boundary stone. The surname Hingston seems to have its origins firmly in the South Hams between the Avon, the Yealm and the southern edge of Dartmoor. Although there were Hingstons in Cornwall in the 18th century, they all appear to be linked to the South Devon Hingston's. The Hingston family still owned property in Ashford in C19.

The farmhouse here was built in the C16 or early C17.

Idstone Bridge

Milestone in Lay-by Opposite Icy Park

 This was added to the listings in 1989. It is a triangular stone and is embedded in the bank near 16 Icy Park. It was painted white with the barely legible inscription "Kingsbridge 4 Modbury 3".
 

Rockhill House

Built in early C19th, in Fore Street.

Stadbury Manor

Stadbury manor was one of the four ancient manors in the parish, and was included in the Domesday survey of property in 1086. Higher Stadbury farmhouse was the original manor farmhouse, and Greystone Cottage is part of one end of it. Lower Stadbury Manor house was also a farmhouse built in early C19. They are all on the sites of original buildings, and are thought to contain parts from a much earlier period. Some of the the beams in Higher Stadbury are said to date from 1490, and parts of the outside wall from circa 1200.

Gate Piers Circa 10 Metres from East Corner of Stadbury Manor

Granary/ Barns/Outbuildings Higher Stadbury Farm

The barns, granary, stables and outbuildings here enclose a former stockyard, and are of important architectural and historical merit. They adjoin Greystone Cottage, below. Most of them were built in 1780 when many farms were boosted by supplying the fleet in Plymouth during the Napoleonic war.

Greystone Cottage, Higher Stadbury Farmhouse

C16 and late C18

Stockadon Farmhouse

The house was built in C18 or early C19, and the farm has retained all its fine original buildings (also listed) enclosing the stockyard.

Barns and Outbuildings at Stockadon Farm

This is one of the few original yards with surrounding unconverted buildings in the area. It is unspoilt and well maintained, and at the time of writing the farm is being restored. The modern barns and buildings are being demolished, leaving the original stone barns and outbuildings as they were in the 1880's. The surrounding land will be landscaped, restoring the farm to the C19 layout shown on the 1886 1st edition Ordnance Survey map. 

Stoverlake Farmhouse

 

 

Stoverlake was a Domesday estate - “Staverlake”. The present house was built as a farmhouse in C17, and although it has C20 additions and alterations it still retains much of historical interest.

 

 

Tetwell Farmhouse

Tetta’s Spring or Tetta’s Weille was the name of the spring or stream between Windwhistle and Stoverlake, and gave its name to the property. In 1135, along with Combe, Tetwell was given to the prior of Plympton by the Giffards, but came back into local ownership at a later date. The house there today was built as a farmhouse in mid C19, and remains as built.

Tree Farm

The building that became the farmhouse here was built as two cottages in late C18 or early C19.It is listed because it is a rare example in Aveton Gifford of an "unaltered vernacular structure".

Farm Buildings at Tree Farm, Fore Street

A stable and byre built C18 or early C19.  A pair of buildings at right angles, enclosing a small yard, are over the road from Tree Farm at the foot of the hill approaching the parish church. They are of importance as they complete a group with the farmhouse.

Wakeham Farmhouse

A large C17 farmhouse with a large C18 extension